Monday, April 15, 2013

Baby Storytime at Bowral Library

At Bowral Library we run baby storytime every Thursday in school terms at 11am for 0-2 year olds.
We do get older siblings come along also so while these sessions are aimed at 0-2 year olds I do add in a couple of things for older children that I think will still be enjoyed by babies.

This is a run down of what I do each week:

I open and close with the same songs every week. I try to have a theme each week which just makes it easier for planning but this doesn't always happen. I read one book every week, we have a felt board story but because I use a white board my pictures are on paper with magnets on the back. I put all songs up on my whiteboard so caregivers are able to sing along.

When we finish our songs and stories I get out a bag with musical instruments. I put on a CD and play 4 or 5 songs and the children dance and play their instruments. Some weeks I give out scarves and we fly our scarves to a scarf song. Most weeks I also blow some bubbles while the parents and grandparents sing a bubble song.We then finish off with a bag of books that I put out for children to share with parents or grandparents. It's lovely to see how excited the children get when I bring out a bag of board books for sharing.

Here is what I repeat each week :

OPENING SONG: 

Hello song
Hi, hello and how are you?
How are you? How are you?
Hi, hello and how are you?
How are you today?

OPENING ACTION RHYME: 

Where is baby?
Where is baby? Where is baby?
There (s) he is! There (s) he is!
I'm so glad to see you
I'm so glad to see you
Peek-a-boo! Peek-a-boo!

CLOSING SONG: 

Goodbye song
Goodbye, goodbye, we'll see you soon,
see you soon, see you soon.
Goodbye, goodbye, we'll see you soon,
on another day.

Each week time permitting I will add my program for that week to this blog. Some of you may want to sing some of the rhymes at home with your children so that is why I will list what I do each week.

I look forward to seeing you at baby storytime



No comments:

Post a Comment